23 June 2009

The Smell of Summer


I walked up the the bar at the Ginger Man to settle up and what did I see down and to my left but a pack of Splash's.


I stared, my mind racing through the memories back to that first clove on Cammy's driveway approximately one decade ago. Although back then it was Bali Hai's, before the Sunshine Store consolidated to all Splash. My first cigarette, which I tried to breath through like a snorkel on the first drag. Before I learned how to do it in ultra cool style (just once in a while, you know, with my pals).


"Mind if I ask where you got those cloves?" I ask one of the row of nondescript early 20's jock boys, trying not to appear flirtatious in any way.


"Um, cigar shop?" One answers quizzically.


"Oh, right I just moved here and...you know..." I trailed off, suddenly remembering that I was no longer in a city or state where I had to rely on the always sketchy Sunshine Store for supply.


"You want one?" the owner of the pack asked, proferring.


"YEAH!" I said way too enthusiastically, sounding and feeling suddenly 18 again.


I tasted the sweet paper before lighting the thin cylinder and smiled as I remembered all the edgy, artistic, romantic feelings that I used to associate with the activity. And the late nights walking around Brookhaven with Cammy talking about boys, religion, fashion, Dave Matthews.


I drove home with the window down, imagining it was my old 320i and savoring the warm summer air gently wafting the smell of so many summers ago back into my present.

No comments:

Post a Comment