I recently went with the institute on a walking tour of Newport, Rhode Island. This town has the most surviving colonial and early Republic era buildings in America. I tried very hard to get a picture capturing a typical street that would truly represent the historic ambiance of the town, but I couldn't. The camera just didn't do justice. All I can say is, visit Newport. It's wonderful
This is the old Colonial Hall and later first state government building. It used to have a beautiful weather vein replete with not cockerel but whale. Unfortunately said vein was stolen in an elaborate heist involving a helicopter. The crime remains unsolved and the item has yet to surface on Ebay. I kid you not.
This house was at one point during the American Revolution the head quarters of George Washington and French General Comte de Rochambeau
In Rhode Island.
That amused me.
The sign says "vacancies". That also amused me.
This is John Hattendorf, our guide. He is a professor at the Naval War College and is also the most knowledgeable naval historian alive in the world. He is a legend. Several of his former students have the word 'supreme' in their actual job description. Including characters like this.
That by him is a model of the HMS Victory.
No comments:
Post a Comment