30 November 2009

Today I Learned a New Skill

I apologize for not posting in a while. Schoolwork has finally slowed down!

This morning I woke up and went to say hi to the rabbits as usual. I noticed Mercedes' nose was runny and as I got down to her level to pet her, I heard a quiet squeaking noise. I realized quickly that it was her breathing! Pobrasita! A wheezy runny-nosed bunny is never a good thing. I quickly called the Ridglea Animal Hospital, and they fitted Mercedes in for a 3:30 appointment.

She showed her usual sass during her exam, nipping that big Aggie vet twice. Whoops! Got his fingers too close to her choppers in the dental exam. He said that she probably had a little cold and that a round of antibiotics should do the trick. "Nurse, " he said, "fix up some [howevermany] mL needles of Penicillin." Whoa- needles plural? A shot at the office, no prob, but who is going administer the rest of those bad boys, I thought to myself.
"You'll need to give her these once a day," he answered my question. And my eyes widened. He explained the method: pull up the scruff, make a little tent of skin, get the needle close, and just pull the skin right over the needle. Job done. Then the nurse came in with the ten little neat syringes.
"I'd like you to go ahead and do this first one so I can watch," the doc said, of course. Go time! "OK! I can do this," I said aloud trying to pump myself up, trying not to give myself time to think about poking Mercedes with a needle. But, sure enough I just followed his directions and pumped the miracle medicine right under her quite tough scruff skin without even a flinch from the diva. How do you like that?
As soon as we got home she flopped down in front of the Count for grooming. He obliged, cleaning out her ears. What a good friend. Good thing he is so laid back that he doesn't mind a drama queen for a mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment